Guardianships in Arkansas

Jonesboro Guardianship Attorney

Whether you are considering a guardianship for someone or are potentially becoming someone’s guardian, the process and circumstances surrounding the decision can seem overwhelming. Rees Law Firm recognizes the difficult situations that typically precede guardianship actions, and we make sure to approach all of these cases with the care and attention they deserve.

Contact our office today to learn more about Arkansas guardianships and to find out how we can assist you during the process of establishing guardianship for someone you love. You can reach our dedicated legal team by calling (870) 931-2100 today.

baby on father's hands

What Does it Mean to be a Guardian?

A guardian is someone who can legally make decisions for and care for someone else. This might mean providing a home for someone, making major decisions for that person (medical, estate, financial, educational), and ensuring that person’s best interests are protected.

People are most often appointed to be guardians for minor children, elderly persons, and incapacitated or disabled persons. Our firm helps people establish guardianship for people they love and helps them understand what it will mean to take on guardianship of another person. If you need assistance with a legal guardianship, contact the Rees Law Firm today.

Types of Guardianships in Arkansas

At the Rees Law Firm, we represent people who are facing the difficult task of deciding whether it is necessary to have someone else care for and make major decisions for a loved one. The need for a legal guardian can arise under numerous different circumstances. In our experience, we have assisted clients with the following types of guardianship actions:

  • Unfit parent to a minor child – When a parent is unfit to care for a minor child, a court can appoint someone else legal guardian to ensure the child’s needs are met. Parents can be deemed unfit because of substance abuse, neglect, child abuse, or creating a dangerous environment for a child. Our firm will uncover all of the evidence regarding the unfit parent and will help establish a legal guardian who can properly care for the child or children involved.
  • Deceased parents to a minor child – In the horrific event of the death of one or both parents, a legal guardian can be appointed to care for the children left behind. If the parent or parents did not arrange for guardianship prior to their passing, our firm will step in to make sure the children have a loving home and caring guardians with all the legal rights of parents.
  • Incapacitated or disabled parent to a minor child – If a parent or parents become disabled or incapacitated to the point that they cannot make decisions in the best interests of their children, a legal guardian should be appointed. This guardian will take over major decisions for the children, like medical and schooling decisions, and can provide a home for the children, as well. The Rees Law Firm can put the process in motion.
  • Elderly loved one – Loved ones are often faced with the difficult decision of whether parents or elderly relatives are unable to make their own decisions. In these circumstances, children or relatives can be appointed guardians of their elderly loved ones to make sure that financial, medical, and estate decisions are made appropriately and in the best interests of their loved ones. Our firm will guide you through the steps necessary while helping you recognize the benefits of initiating this process for your loved one.
  • Incapacitated or disabled loved one – If a loved one of yours is involved in an accident or develops a condition that renders him or her incapacitated or disabled to the point of not being able to make decisions, it is wise to move to appoint a legal guardian. In the absence of a document that already directs decision-making in this situation — like a living will, advance health care directive, or power of attorney — you can be appointed legal guardian to make the decisions your loved one needs. Allow our firm to assist you in this important process.

It is not easy to make guardianship decisions in a lot of cases, but our firm will help you understand your options and make sure the people you care about are protected. If you are interested in pursuing a guardianship action, contact the Rees Law Firm today to schedule an attorney consultation.

Contact the Rees Law Firm Today

At the Rees Law Firm, we have the knowledge and experience to properly carry out your guardianship action. We provide initial case consultations at no cost to clients and offer phone and in-person meetings with skilled Guardianship Attorney Mark Rees. Contact the Rees Law Firm at (870) 931-2100 today to schedule your case consultation.



  • Best lawyer in Jonesboro!!!

    Hal Rees
  • Best lawyer in Jonesboro…hands down! He really comes to bat for his clients.

    Jared Bozarth
  • I have used this firm for many years. They are professional and inviting, knowledgeable and hold themselves to a high level of integrity and moral accountability. I recommend them on a regular basis and have never been disappointed.

    Anastasia Beaverhousin
  • The best lawyer in Jonesboro and surrounding area. Mark, you work for your clients and you treat them as if they are your only client. You are a blessing to anyone. Keep up the great job

    Sheri Seabaugh Prestidge
  • A brilliant legal mind and an aggressive defender of the accused. Great person!

    Stan Morris
  • Mark Rees is a terrific lawyer and went above and beyond for me each time I have used his services. He treated me as if I were family and was always straight forward with us. I would recommend him to anyone.

    Tonda Johnston Baxter